Monday, August 27, 2007

Tag: Path Joys & Trials

Thanks to Paul of Goddess Evoke for tagging us for this tag-meme, started by Birch Grove:

"I really want to know what everyone loves about the religions they call their own, and what trials they face in adhereing to those beliefs. I think we might have more in common than we all think. Here are the rules:
You have to use your own belief system for the meme. No fair using someone else’s to make a joke or satire. Being humorous about your own religion is encouraged!You have to have at least one joy and one trial. More are encouraged. And no, they don’t have to be equal in length, but please be honest.You have to tag at least one other person. More are appreciated!Please post these rules!"

Since labyrs is away and Medusa is up to her eyeballs in a book review she's writing and hoping to post here in a few days, I guess I'm "It."

To tell the truth my own "belief system" is close to atheism. Before I got involved with the Goddess, which is recently compared to a lot of you I'm sure, I was definitely an aetheist. I think I became one because the Christian God was too literal for me (besides being a "he.") None of the literal belief systems make sense to me because they all fall down in the face of reason and/or science. So I guess one of the joys of Goddess is that I can be involved with this type of "religion" or spirituality and still not have a belief in a concrete deity. I can think of Goddess more as a metaphor, so I can believe and not believe at the same time. Another joy would be that the Goddess path gives me a way to examine how religion interacts with politics and social systems, and problems such as the environment. As for the trials---I guess one is still being "in the closet" about my participation in this. Or to put it another way, one of my trials is getting up enough nerve to come out and talk to others about this path. I think I will get there soon and participating in this blog is certainly helping me feel part of a community.

And now I tag Inanna at At the End of Desire.



Labels:

1 Comments:

At Monday, September 03, 2007 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Thanks for responsding to the tag.

Yes, one of the joys is not having to be too literal, Goddess as metaphor will do fine after all it is through metaphor that we understand our world so it is a good idea to choose the right metaphors.

:) Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 Subscribe in a reader

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Judith Laura


More blogs about /goddess/feminist theology/spiritual feminism/pagan/feminist spirituality/.